The association was first founded in 1897 at Waco, Texas as ginners from across the state recognized the need to cooperate in efforts to address numerous industry issues.
It was felt in those days that the Texas cotton ginning industry needed a voice to influence legislation, to seek solutions to mutual problems and to work to establish standardized ginning practices. Despite the recognized need for cooperative efforts, the organization was disbanded in 1901 after negotiations broke down over the round bale versus square bale controversy.
During the time following the disbanding of the original organization, ginners met periodically in area meetings to discuss issues of mutual interest and kept alive the vision of eventually forming a statewide association. In July of 1909, cotton ginners from across the Lone Star State gathered to reclaim, reorganize and revitalize their association.
The organization was finally chartered in 1929 as a non-profit, non-partisan association. Its primary, stated purpose was to serve the interests of cotton farmers, cotton ginners and the allied cotton industries of Texas. At that time, the original organizational plan provided for establishment of ginning districts based upon state senatorial districts. Through annual district meetings, ginners were allowed an equal voice in matters that came before the organization for discussion. This reorganization plan contributed to the long-term success of the association. As the organization continued to grow and evolve over the years, other considerations began to carry weight as to how to better define ginning district boundaries.