The Trust has sent us two additional safety alerts which we thought should be shared with all TCGA members. Please take a minute to review the publication below, and be sure to reinforce these issues with all of your workers during your next safety meeting at the gin.
An employee was injured in the battery condenser feed rollers at a member gin last night. The root cause of the accident was failure to follow lock-out procedures.
This is what we know: The gin had choked the battery condenser and employees went up to un-choke when one of the employees noticed a wad or cotton roping on one of the doffers.
The employee reached to grab the wad or rope and was pulled into the feed works up to the arm pit.
The injured employee had been on the job for 2 weeks and was a sweeper!
If the Battery Condenser had been Locked Out at the power source before employees went to un-choke the accident would have never happened!!!
TAKE A MINUTE TO IMPRESS ON ALL OF YOUR EMPLOYEES THE IMPORTANCE OF FOLLOWING STRICT LOCK-OUT PROCEDURE!
SINCE THE LAST WEEK OF DECEMBER TRUST MEMBER GINS HAVE HAD 5 ACCIDENTS RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY DUE TO FAILURE TO LOCK OUT!
The power to electrically powered equipment should be disconnected and the disconnect locked in the “off” position until all work is completed.
The power to hydraulic pumps should be disconnected and locked-out before working on hydraulically powered equipment.
The power to equipment powered by air pressure should be locked-out, or valves closed and locked, and the pressure bled off before working on that equipment.
Provide restraint for equipment that will lower or fall by the force of gravity.
REMIND HANDS TO REVIEW AND FOLLOW THE PROCEDURES TO LOCK-OUT WITH PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE POWER SOURCE OF THE EQUIPMENT!
Fire In The Gin!!!
There have been numerous fires reported in the last few weeks due to the cotton condition changing at the gin as the season has progressed. With the increase in the frequency of fires please take some time to review your firefighting plans.
Fire can be very serious in a gin because two of the things required to cause a fire (air and combustible material) are readily available. Fire can “Flash” across cotton very quickly, especially when a blast of air hits it. Fire from the cotton can then ignite clothing causing burns and lung damage due to smoke inhalation. Slips and Falls can also occur during a fire so be aware of those dangers as well.
1. Be aware of the smell of burning cotton and report it immediately.
2. Don’t Panic…Stay calm and smart during any fire.
3. Things to remember when Fighting Fire:
– Use proper fire extinguishers
– If using water, use caution around electrical panels
– Trust your instincts…if you don’t feel comfortable let someone more experienced handle the situation
– ALWAYS shut down, LOCK OUT, and wait for machinery to STOP before digging burning cotton out of it
4. Never enter basements or press pits if smoke filled.
Take a moment to re-enforce everyone’s safety consciousness:
Perform a thorough safety self inspection; review the results with supervisors and ginners!!
Continue your safety meetings, and discuss all accidents!
Constantly monitor hazardous areas in and around the gin!