Fire In The Gin!!!
There have been numerous fires reported in the last few weeks due to the cotton condition changing at the gin as the season has progressed. With the increase in the frequency of fires please take some time to review your firefighting plans.
Fire can be very serious in a gin because two of the things required to cause a fire (air and combustible material) are readily available. Fire can “Flash” across cotton very quickly, especially when a blast of air hits it. Fire from the cotton can then ignite clothing causing burns and lung damage due to smoke inhalation. Slips and Falls can also occur during a fire so be aware of those dangers as well.
1. Be aware of the smell of burning cotton and report it immediately.
2. Don’t Panic…Stay calm and smart during any fire.
3. Things to remember when Fighting Fire:
– Use proper fire extinguishers
– If using water, use caution around electrical panels
– Trust your instincts…if you don’t feel comfortable let someone more experienced handle the situation
– ALWAYS shut down, LOCK OUT, and wait for machinery to STOP before digging burning cotton out of it
4. Never enter basements or press pits if smoke filled.
Take a moment to re-enforce everyone’s safety consciousness:
Perform a thorough safety self inspection; review the results with supervisors and ginners!!
Continue your safety meetings, and discuss all accidents!
Constantly monitor hazardous areas in and around the gin!